Internship in Geography (GEOG 595)
The Department of Geography offers a 1- to 6-hour internship course that is available both to majors and non-majors in any semester. Internships prepare students for the workplace and give students an opportunity to explore career options and to put their skills into practice. A geography internship partially fulfills Professional and Civic Engagement requirements for USC’s Graduation with Leadership Distinction. It can also serve as an elective course for the GEOINT Certificate Program. Students can arrange their own internships with businesses, government agencies, or non-profits, or they can inquire about internships with one of our community partners in the Columbia area. Internships may vary in terms of skill requirements, and they may be paid or unpaid.
Interns are required to
- complete 50 hours of work for each credit hour earned (approximately 10 hours per week for a 3-credit internship);
- meet at least twice per semester with the internship coordinator and submit a mid-semester report;
- submit a final report to the internship coordinator and the internship supervisor; and
- be evaluated at the end of the semester by the internship supervisor (via the Intern Evaluation Form [pdf]).
Please be aware of the following:
- Students must take the internship course for a grade.
- Geography majors can use this course to fulfill up to 3 hours of geography elective credit, but not the 500-level course requirement.
- Non-geography majors should consult with their academic advisors to determine whether GEOG 595 can count toward their degree programs.
- Notify the internship coordinator that you are interested in an internship. This should happen as early as possible.
- Explore internship options with the Geography Department’s community partners, or consult with the internship coordinator if you are interested in an internship with a group that is NOT a Geography Department partner.
- Once you have found a suitable arrangement, complete an Internship Contract form. To complete the form, you will need the CRN for GEOG 595 and the USC ID of the Geography internship coordinator (Dr. Wang). You are required to complete sections relating to the specific duties, responsibilities, and expectations attached to the internship. Be sure to consult with the internship supervisor before you complete these sections.
- When you have completed the contract, click the Submit Form button. This generates a completed form. Save the form as a PDF and send the PDF via email to the internship coordinator. The internship coordinator will circulate it for the necessary signatures. You will then receive instructions for submitting the signed form to Registrar. You cannot register for GEOG 595 until the Registrar clears you. Once you have been cleared, you can go into my.sc.edu to register. Be sure to select the appropriate number of credit hours (most students enroll in 3 credit hours). Do not hesitate to seek assistance from the internship coordinator if you have any questions or problems.
- Students should complete this entire process at least four weeks before the start of the semester in which the internship will take place.
Forms and Resources
- Internship Contract
- Intern Evaluation Form [pdf]
- Community Partners
- GEOG 595 Syllabus [pdf]
- Examples of Good 595 Posters
- Clean Cities Workforce Development Program (Eva James) [pdf]
- First Presbyterian Churchyard Ironworks: Historic Columbia (Caitlyn Lorick) [pdf]
- SC DNR Geological Survey Internship (Jacquelyn Burnett) [pdf]
- SC DNR — LWCD (Megan James) [pdf]
- SC Office of Regulatory Staff (Ben Garris) [pdf]
- SC State Climatology Office Internship (Leah Moore) [pdf]